Monday, March 31, 2008

Thanks, but I'm not ready yet!




My younger brother had a heart attack a week ago today. At age 47, he is too young for this sort of nonsense. In retrospect, his age was a big advantage in his surviving this medical crisis. I'm not going to go into the causes of his illness but I do know that one factor was stress.

As we spoke tonight, I laughingly blurted out that it was time for him to get a motorcycle. He agreed that life was short and that maybe he would look into this. After I hung up the phone, I realized this is exactly what he needs to alleviate some of the stress in his life.

Another friend, an old friend, a good man, is in the process of getting a divorce. His world has been turned upside down and he struggles to keep his family together while being forced to sell his home, so he can pay off his cheating wife. He too, is at a crossroads in his life. A motorcycle is just what he needs to meet a better class of people.

They say you never see a motorcycle parked outside a shrink's office. I'd bet there's some truth to that.

We are the free, the feral, the untamed, the unwashed. But we're also eloquent, thoughtful, generous, kind and considerate. I'd do anything for my brothers and I know they would always be there for me too.

It's important to me to have the time, the freedom and the free will to go where I want, when I want and with whom I want. I need a little inner space to be myself, to explore this side of me. I can be domesticated but I can't be tamed. Call that anti-social if you will, I prefer to think of it in terms of being in touch with one's id, devoid of the social niceties and political repression foisted upon us by pressure groups trying to force conformity and their own world-view.

I have goals and dreams which are mostly about living my life the way I decide to. I want my life to be memorable, to me and others around me. I want to laugh with my friends and have fun.

Life's too short to settle for a crappy one. I'm going to ride as long as I can, knowing that this lifestyle is a healthy part of who I am.

Follow your dreams..."'cause if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there".

A low, slow wave,

Joe Rocket

No comments: